Class Lists Posted Six Days Before Start of School — Is it an Inconvenience?
Parents have taken to Patch and social media to say they are upset that the class lists can't be posted sooner than Aug. 17, a few days before the start of school.
Patch announced this week that elementary class lists will be posted on school doors Aug. 17 — six days before students are supposed to report to class.
Many parents commented on the Patch story and on the Stow Patch Facebook page about their discontent:
- Pamela Wind: "Gee, how nice of them to tell us what's going on SIX DAYS before the start of school. Am I the only parent driven nuts by this? At Echo Hills, the supplies needed are by classroom, not by grade, so we generously get four days until open house night to make a mad dash for school supplies. Forget watching the sales!"
Teachers or parents can add the school supply list to Stow Patch by clicking here.
May school supply lists can also be found at businesses like Office Max and Drug Mart.
- Paul Hunter: "We have no idea what to purchase for our daughter's class or even what school. We have to set up before and after school care at a daycare so if she gets bumped from our closed school we will be scrambling to sign her up at a daycare close to the school. This process of posting on the actual school door six days prior to starting isn't very practical for families."
Some people who commented on the site said the supply lists are pretty much the same year-to-year and have already started purchasing some items.
- Patty Whitaker: "I have found that the elementary lists (at least Fishcreek's) haven't changed all that much. Except for a few select items, It's pretty basic stuff: Green, red, blue and maybe yellow, notebooks and folders, No. 2 pencils, crayons, washable markers, yellow highlighters and black dry erase markers to name just a few items. I have been stocking up on these basics. I have one going to Lakeview this year and kind of going nuts not knowing what items he is going to need beyond the basics!"
Comments were also left on the Stow Patch Facebook page:
- Renee Reinhart Mihalyov: "We are new to Stow and I can't believe how inadequate this process is!! I thought it was bad enough that we couldn't confirm morning or afternoon Kindergarten. Then we found out that we may not even be able to attend our home school? Ridiculous! Looks terrible to a new resident!!"
- Jan Hightower-Woods: "Really, it's always been made into such a big, secretive ordeal in this district and quite frankly I don't get it! Why are they posting kids names and teacher assignments on the schools windows for everyone to see? Why isn't this done electronically. Saves everyone gas and time and saves the environment too ... "
Click here to view the back to school dates and times. Also, back to school forms are available online, print them here.
Do you think it is incovenient to post the class lists six days before the start of school?
How would you prefer to find out this information? How soon would you like to know?
Tell us in the comments.