Editor's note: This story will be continuously updated as information from the public and authorities streams in. Check Stow Patch for updates throughout the day.
Have storm damage? Add photos to this post.
"I'm checking in with everyone but yes, it may be that we were spared compared to what could have been," said Mayor Sara Drew. "The employees of the city responded quickly and worked throughout the night to ensure the city was safe and kept operational. I want to thank everyone in service, dispatch, fire and police for their efforts. We will assess what may need to be done today."
The mayor said she plans to update Patch as the day goes on.
"Our thoughts go out to the communities on the east coast that have experienced tremendous damage and loss of life," she said.
Downed Lines, Trees
Winds climbed to gusts of 70 mph Monday evening, knocking over a tree onto Merria Road and causing a line to fall on Hudson Drive.
Drew said she was alerted of five trees down across roads.
Stow Fire Capt. Mark Stone, who warns that downed power lines are seriously dangerous, said the line on Hudson Drive that fell was thankfully not arcing and no one was hurt.
“We received a call for power lines down and smoking. Arrived to find a telephone pole had fractured and fallen across the street with cable and phone lines attached to it," the fire report stated. "There was no arcing or smoking and appropriate companies were notified by dispatch and the police department closed the street and fire returned to service.”
Crews were on scene from 6:30 to 8 p.m. Monday.
As of 7:25 a.m., First Energy shows that 29 people are without power in Stow. As of 7 a.m., dispatch said all intersections at this time are working around the city.
If power at an intersection does go out, Mayor Sara Drew urges residents to treat them as a four-way stop.
The Stow-Munroe Falls City School District and Holy Family Catholic School are closed Oct. 30, 2012.
See More on Patch
- Warning: Downed Power Lines are Seriously Dangerous
- Hurricane Sandy: How Can You Help?
- Stow-Munroe Falls School District, Holy Family CLOSED Tuesday
- Hurricane Sandy: Mayor Drew Issues Advisory Statement for Stow
- LOOK: Hurricane Sandy's Local Damage
- Hurricane Sandy: How East Coast Patches Are Covering the Storm
- UPDATED Hurricane Sandy Causes Cancellation of All Cleveland Hopkins' Flights Until Noon Tuesday
- Hurricane Sandy: How Long Will Food Last in the Fridge if You Lose Power?
- Hurricane Sandy: High Wind Warning Issued for Northeast Ohio
- Preparing for Hurricane Sandy: Cleveland Red Cross Gives Tips
- Hurricane Sandy: How Will 'Frankenstorm' Affect Northeast Ohio?
Most Popular articles
- Driver Charged in Graham Road Crash
- Man Passes out in Drive-Thru, Drugs and BB Guns: Police Blotter
- Child Taught to Steal, K9 Teased, Man Attempting to Bail Friend Arrested: Best of the Blotter
- House for Sale Has Family Room with Vaulted Ceiling, Brick Fireplace
- New Industrial Building Planned for Alpha Parkway