James (Jim) Costello: Ward 2 Council Candidate, Incumbent
Read about why Costello thinks he should remain the representative in Ward 2.
Name: James (Jim) Costello, Incumbent
Years in Stow: (in Ward 2) for 32 years
Education: B.A. science (industrial management) from the University of Akron
Family: Married to Sandy for 38 years and have two children and three grandchildren. Another grandchild is due Oct. 28.
Political affiliation: Democrat, according to the Summit County Board of Elections.
(Council members serve the district on a non-partisan basis)
Employment: Purchasing department employee for Struktol Company of America in Cuyahoga Falls
Position sought: Ward 2 Council (incumbent — has served in same position for last eight years.)
Why run for re-election?
- "I am running for (re) election because I have always believed withoutpersonal involvement things will not change."
What qualifies you to serve?
- "I believe I am qualified to serve because I have 35 years of business experience; 30 years of military/government experience and eight years of city experience. By applying these experiences to any situation presented to council I believe I can come up with common sense decisions that will be acceptable to the citizens of my ward and Stow."
What is the biggest problem facing Stow?
- "The biggest problem facing Stow, like other cities, is declining revenues. We as a council and the administration need to find ways to maintain both our infrastructure as well as our services that our citizens expect and deserve. At the same time we need to be mindful of our reserves. This will be a very difficult balancing act and will have to continue until the economy improvesand our stronger economic development efforts bring results."
Goals if re-elected?
- "My goal, if elected, is to perform the above necessary balancing act in a manner that the citizens of Stow see an improvement in our infrastructure and services and hopefully with our diligent economic development efforts an increase in our reserves."
Favorite thing about Stow?
- "My favorite thing about Stow is that it is a business, family-friendly city with a well-respected school system. Stow is strategically located between the cities of Akron and Cleveland and can draw on their cultural entertainment events as well."