Police Get the Real Man Responsible for the Kent Shooting
Stow Police took down three 17-year-olds last week after patrolling the area for a shooter that fled on foot from Kent. The three Stow teens weren't involved in the shooting, but police say they have their man now.
Dustin A. Dent, 24, who police refer to as homeless, turned himself in late Saturday evening to the Medina County Sheriff’s Office in Medina, where he was picked up by Kent Police and returned to Kent.
Dent was arraigned this morning in Kent Municipal Court on a charge of
attempted murder. He is currently being held at the Portage County
jail on a $500,000 bond.
Kent Police Capt. Jayme Cole said an investigation led Kent Police to obtain a warrant for Dent’s arrest late last week.
Last week after the shooting, Stow Police received a call to be on the lookout for a white male in his mid 20s, approximately 5-feet 8-inches tall, heavy build, who was wearing a white sleeveless T-shirt and headed west toward Stow.
An officer was on Graham Road when he saw a man in light-colored clothes running from behind a doctor's office, according to a police report.
The K9 helped track down a 17-year-old male in the tall grass behind Burger King. Two other juveniles, both 17, were also found in the grass.
After further investigation, the teens "did not match the description of the suspects," said Stow Police Chief Louis Dirker. The three boys were cleared by Kent Police, he added.
All of the teens were released to their parents. One teen was examined by EMS for an injury to his back from Nero and another teen was examined by EMS for passing out on scene, said police.
According to a Stow Youth Services report, the juveniles were out past curfew and obstructing official business.
Dirker said "the three youths had nothing to do with the shooting in Kent. They were in the wrong place at the wrong time."