Raccoon Causes Power Outage for 1,900 Thursday Morning
Unfortunately, critters cause a lot of power outages, according to First Energy.
First Energy said a raccoon is the culprit of the power outage in the Ward 2 area of Stow overnight.
Power was lost for about 1,900 customers around 3 a.m., but was restored to most homes by 4:20 a.m. and by 4:40 a.m. for a few other homes, said First Energy Spokesperson Mark Durbin.
"Unfortunately at this time of the year, squirrels and raccoons get into our equipment," said Durbin. "What happens is raccoons in particular have big bushy tails and when one wire makes contact with another it completes a circuit and the animal get electrocuted, which shorts out our equipment."
Durbin said he apologies for the inconvenience to the customers but, "we can't control the critters!"