Those Holiday Lights May Be Pretty, But Are They Grounded?
Follow these tips from Stow Fire Department and have a safe holiday season.
The Stow Fire Department's schedule gets busier this time of year.
Not to be a Scrooge, but Fire Marshal Jim Leidel said some holiday decorations contribute to the holiday fires.
Here are some tips from the fire marshal to stay fire-free this winter:
- Do not hide extension cords under rugs or under furniture. "They cannot dissipate heat in that circumstance and can cause a fire."
- Do not leave candles unattended. "Extinguish them when you leave the room, even if it's for a few minutes."
- Use UL listed and approved extension cords for the "appropriate amperage draw of the appliance it is powering."
- Do not "daisy chain" or plug one extension cord into another.
- Check water daily on live Christmas trees. "If the tree is not taking water, a new cut may be required to keep the tree from dying prematurely."
- Make sure gas fireplaces have a clean blue flame. "Any other color flame will produce carbon monoxide, which can be deadly."
- Have the furnace inspected yearly and change the filter and keep fireplaces clean.
- Have a fire extinguisher, working smoke detectors and a carbon monoxide detector in the home.
"Knowing how to use the fire extinguisher is important," Leidel said. "Use the PASS method."
- P-ull the pin from the handle
- A-im the nozzle at the base of the fire
- S-queeze the handle to activate the extinguisher
- S-weep the nozzle back and forth until the fire is extinguished