A committee of about 15 parents has been coming together for the past few months to plan the race which has a dual purpose. It is the hope that the race, which is certified and sanctioned by U.S.A. Track & Field, will serve as the major fundraiser for the upcoming 2012-13 school year. The committee has been working to insure that this school fundraising event is also a means of bringing the community and the school district together through physical fitness.
While the race is a true 5K with chip-timing, winners, and some awesome prizes, the race is also for casual runners and walkers. The committee hopes that not only Fishcreek families will get involved, since the race is truly designed for everyone. Each race registrant will receive a one month membership to Fitness 19, along with a free kid’s meal from Applebee’s, which are two of the race’s corporate sponsors.
Fishcreek’s goal is to raise $10,000! If they do, Mrs. Julie Obraza, Fishcreek’s Principal, will dye her hair blue, which is one of the elementary school’s colors.
Now, let’s take a look at what is planned and how you can get involved!
Race registration can be done online or through paper registration. Registration is $20.00 per participant before April 15, and once that date hits, it goes up to $25.00. Be sure to get yours in soon!
Fishcreek Elementary families can take advantage of their students securing donors for the students’ race registrations. For every $10.00 raised towards a student’s registration (and donations can certainly exceed $20.00 per student), the student’s name is entered into a drawing for a prize.
Keeping in step with the health promotion aspect of the race, Fishcreek is also hosting a Health Fair at Packet Pick Up on Friday, April 27 from 6:00-8:30pm in the school’s auditorium. Many community resources will be on hand that evening offering free goodies and health tips to the race participants. Plus, if you happen to forget to register, you can participate in Late Registration that evening, as well.
If you are unable to run but would love to participate in some way, here are a few options for you!
- Volunteer! The committee is still in need of many hands and feet to make the day of the event successful! You can sign up to volunteer online by clicking here. You do not need to be in the Fishcreek family or a PTA member to help out!
- Become a Patron of the Race Sponsors! Check out the race sponsorships here.
- Become a Race Business Sponsor! Join the ranks of Applebee’s, AdvoCare, Giant Eagle, TTR Shipping, Primary Pet Care, Wing Warehouse, Fun Services, Young's Screenprinting....and many more! For sponsorship opportunities, click here.
- Make an appointment for the Gavin Scott Salon Cut-A-Thon! The event is scheduled for Saturday, April 21 from 8am-3pm, and 10% of all salon and spa services from the day will go to the Raccoon Run! Our Fischreek Raccoon Mascot will be there, along with late race registration!
- “LIKE” the Raccoon Run Facebook page to stay in the know and to keep up on ways to get involved this year and beyond!
For any questions about the race or volunteering, you can email me at email@example.com and we will get you the information that you need.
Otherwise, we will see you on April 29 at the Raccoon Run!