While serving as a member of my board of education, I will accept the responsibility to improve public education.
To that end I will:
• Remember that my first and greatest concern must be the educational welfare of all children attending our schools.
• Obey the laws of Ohio and the United States • Respect the confidentiality of privileged information.
• Recognize that as an individual board member I have no authority to speak or act for the board.
• Work with other members to establish and support effective policies.
• Delegate authority for the administration of the schools to the superintendent and staff.
• Encourage ongoing communications among board members, the board, students, staff, and the community.
• Render all decisions based on available facts and my informed, independent judgment rather than succumbing to the influence of individuals or special interest groups.
• Make every effort to attend all board meetings.
• Become informed concerning the issues to be considered at each meeting.
• Understand that the board meeting is not the place to grandstand or spring surprises.
• Improve my boardmanship by studying educational issues and by participating in in-service programs.
• Support the employment of staff members based on qualifications and not the result of influence.
• Cooperate with other board members and administrators to establish a system of regular and impartial evaluations of all staff.
• Avoid conflicts of interest or the appearance thereof.
• Refrain from using my board position for the benefit of myself, family members or business associates.
• Express my personal opinions but, once the board has acted, accept the will of the majority.
This is truly someone who has no business being involved with any educational decisions.