It's time for and it's time for motorists to slow down to 20 mph when in an active school zone.
Police Chief Louis Dirker reminds motorists of the repercussions and laws pertaining to school zones in Stow:
- A vehicle upon meeting or overtaking a school bus that is stopped for the purpose of receiving or discharging any school child, person attending other programs offered by the state from either direction shall stop at least 10 feet from the front or rear of the school bus and shall not proceed until such school bus resumes motion or until signaled by the school bus driver to proceed.
- Where a highway has been divided into four or more traffic lanes, a driver of a vehicle need not stop for a school bus approaching from the opposite direction which has stopped for the purpose of receiving or discharging any child. Any driver overtaking the school bus (i.e.) driving in the same direction, must comply with number one listed above.
- It might be noted that the penalties for a violation of passing a stopped school bus can be a fine not to exceed $500 and a license suspension. These citations may not be waived — the driver must appear in court to answer the charge.
Take note of where and when school zones are active in Stow: (This information was supplied by the .)
(3179 Kent Rd.):ON OFF 8:10 a.m. 8:40 a.m. 10 a.m. 10:45 a.m. 11:30 a.m. 1 p.m. 3 p.m. 3:25 p.m.
(4459 Stow Rd.), (3512 Kent Rd.), (240 N River Rd., Munroe Falls), * (2908 Graham Rd.) AND * (5080 Fishcreek Rd.):ON OFF 8:30 a.m. 9 a.m. 11:45 a.m. 12 p.m. 12:30 p.m. 12:45 p.m. 3:30 p.m. 3:50 p.m.
* Woodland and Fishcreek schools have the same times except the following:
- 3:20 p.m. to 3:50 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. to 3:55 p.m.
(1819 Graham Rd.) AND (1843 Graham Rd.):ON OFF 7:45 a.m. 8:15 a.m. 8:30 a.m. 9 a.m. 11:40 a.m. 12:45 p.m. 2:45 p.m. 3:10 p.m. 3:30 p.m. 3:50 p.m.
(380 North River Rd., Munroe Falls):ON OFF 7:30 a.m. 8 a.m. 2:35 p.m. 3 p.m.
(3227 Graham Rd.):ON OFF 7 a.m. 7:30 a.m. 2:30 p.m. 2:50 p.m.
To check traffic in the area or find an alternate route to school or work, use Patch's interactive live traffic map.