Friday, April 29, 2011
A federal grant awarded to the city will pay for five new firefighters for two years. Three have been hired so far.
Three new men willing to jump into a burning building and risk their lives for those in Stow joined the Stow Fire Department Monday thanks to a federal grant. Rep. Steven LaRoutette (R-Bainbridge Township) announced in January that Stow will receive $743,741 from the Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response (SAFER) grant program to pay for five new firefighters for the next two years. Firefighter Jeff Cochran wrote the grant for the city in 2010. After the two years expires, the city will evaluate whether it can keep the new employees on staff. On Monday, Shane Ballou, Nick Hoffman and Tom Phillips reported to Fire Station #1 for their first day on the job and joined 43 current full-time firefighters. "I like the family-style of …
Monday, April 4, 2011
Grant-writing firefighter lands $34,000
to buy thermal imagers and a rescue saw.
Lt. Jeff Cochran, a Stow Fire Department firefighter/paramedic, can confidently add grant writing to his list of job skills. Thanks to his efforts, the department has been awarded nearly $34,000 to purchase new life-saving equipment. That award comes on the heels of $743,741 in federal funding the department received in January to fill five full-time firefighter positions that have been vacant since early 2008. Cochran also authored that grant request. City Council approved filling three of those vacancies, and Chief Bill Kalbaugh said the city is still testing to fill the other two positions. The recent award of $33,930 comes courtesy of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Assistance to Firefighters Grants program. Stow is one of …
Thursday, February 3, 2011
No one was injured during the incident.
The Stow Fire Department responded to a small electrical fire at the Wal-Mart on Hudson Drive at 6:46 a.m. today. The store is open 24 hours a day, but no one was injured, said Fire Capt. Steve Groves. "A leaky roof caused their uninterruptible power supply to arc and a very small fire broke," said Groves. "It was extinguished with a portable fire extinguisher." There is "minimal damage" to the store, but Groves said it could be costly because the fire damaged the power supply for most of the computers and cash registers in the store. Wal-Mart was closed after the fire, but reopened around noon today, a store employee said.
Thursday, January 27, 2011
Rep. Steven LaTourette announced Wednesday that Stow is receiving a federal grant to hire five new firefighters.
Stow learned Wednesday that it will receive $743,741 from the federal government to hire five new firefighters and already 200 applications have been picked up, said Stow Fire Department Division Chief Lou Ann Metz Jan. 27. Of the 200 picked up, 60 have already been returned, she added. Applications are available just inside of City Hall and the city will accept applications until the first week of February. The civil service test is scheduled for Feb. 19. "It's very exciting that it's one of the larger grants in our area," Metz said. "It's a great benefit to our city." The money will help to pay the new employees for two years, explained Mayor Karen Fritschel. The city received the grant because Fire Lt. Jeff Cochran wrote the grant about…
Wednesday, January 19, 2011
Free blood pressure checks are done throughout the day at the main fire station.
The Stow Fire Department paramedics who perform blood pressure checks at the city’s Safety Building can set their clocks by Lois Camden, who has used the free service almost daily since July 2004. Every weekday between 1:30 and 1:40 p.m., the 26-year City Hall receptionist/secretary walks across the parking lot between the two buildings. There’s no question from front desk personnel about why she’s there. They just page paramedics to come render the quick check. And no matter which paramedic comes into the lobby with a stethoscope and blood pressure cuff, Camden knows his or her name. It’s like her own version of “Cheers.” Camden can also recite a list of other “regulars” who take advantage of the free community benefit that has been …
Friday, December 24, 2010
Be careful your presents aren't going to start a fire in the hiding place you choose.
Good intentions during the holidays can also have dangerous results. Fire Safety Educator Sandy Ray said she remembers a fire that started just before Christmas because of a hidden present. "The little boy was about 5 and he made his mother a paper craft at school," she said. "Wanting to surprise her for Christmas, he decided to hide it as best as he could and he needed a good hiding spot at his level so he decided to put it in the broiler drawer below the oven." When the mother turned the broiler on to start the Christmas meal, "the whole house filled with smoke," said Ray. Thankfully the family called the fire department and left the house safely, but the present and kitchen was full of soot, like Santa's coat after going down a chimney…
Tuesday, December 21, 2010
Fire department called; students evacuated and returned to building 20 minutes later.
During the last lunch period at Highland Elementary today, Principal Meghan Graziano smelled what seemed to be a burning electrical odor, said Stow-Munroe Falls School District Spokesperson Jacquie Mazziotta. It turns out, it was a smoldering coffee pot. Fire Captain Mike Griffin said the department was dispatched to the school at 12:31 p.m.when the principal pulled the fire alarm. When the department arrived, they unplugged the industrial 30-cup coffee pot and did an air quality test and ventilated the school, Griffin said. The coffee pot was filled with hot chocolate and in an unoccupied classroom that was set up for a holiday party, he said. Students were relocated to Lakeview Intermediate during the incident and were given the OK from …